What is oral lichen planus?
Oral lichen planus is also known as oral LP. This is an autoimmune disorder.
In oral LP inflammatory lesions develop on the mucous membrane of mouth. It generally affects the inside of cheeks, lips, gums, tongue and palate.
Sometimes along with oral lichen planus skin lesions also develop.
It is very important to properly treat oral LP because it may convert to oral cancer in the future.
According to my clinical practice, which I have been doing since 1997, emotional stress is one of the major causes of oral lichen planus.
Other causes are: Lot of allopathic medicines, dyes, chemical substances, viral infections, cheek biting and so on. These all disturb the immune system of the body.
- Antihistamines: They are anti allergic medicines.
- Lidocaine mouth wash: This mouthwash numbs the mucous membrane of mouth so that food can be eaten easily.
- Oral & topical corticosteroids: This helps to reduce inflammation and suppresses the immune response.
All these medicines provide temporary relief and if stopped oral LP comes back.
Gradually these medicines also stop working. The saddest thing is that these have severe side effects.
In oral LP homeopathic medicines correct the disturbance of immune system which helps in reducing the symptoms and healing the lesions.
As soon as our medicines start working, we gradually taper off the corticosteroids and finally stop them completely.
This whole process takes time so patients should keep patience and cooperate with the doctor because oral lichen planus is a chronic and difficult disease to treat.
How much time it takes to stop corticosteroids completely depends upon many things:
- Amount of steroid used
- Duration of steroid use
- Severity of oral LP lesions
- Duration of the disease
- The success rate of homeopathy is more than 85% in oral LP.
- Homeopathy corrects the altered immune system, so the results are long lasting.
- Our medicines are harmless, safe, and nontoxic. They don’t have any side effects.
- Homeopathy also cures the emotional stress and antidotes the toxic effects thus reducing the chances of relapse.
- White patches, painful sores & ulcers, roughness, sensitivity to hot & spicy food, bleeding – all these symptoms get better with homeopathy.
Number of Medicines
There are around 18 medicines in homeopathy for oral lichen planus which are very effective.
Now which of these medicines are to be given, in how much potency, how many times in a day – this is a complicated process which only a highly qualified and experienced doctor can do.
A sensible doctor never prescribes on the name of the disease ‘oral lichen planus’. He takes complete history of the patient, then studies his symptoms properly.
After that he selects the medicines keeping in mind the susceptibility of the patient and decides upon the potency and repetition of medicines.
In oral LP I prescribe for one month and then review the patient after that. Every month the case is studied again thereby finetuning the medicines and their potencies.
Nothing is fixed in homeopathic treatment and remedies change according to the condition of the patient. As I always say, “homeopathy is not readymade, it is tailormade” and the treatment constantly changes according to the situation of the patient.
How much improvement you get in oral LP depends upon your choice of doctor. These days KYC is done in banks and mutual funds; I think patients should also do KYD – Know your doctor.
Name of Medicines?
In this blog, I have not named any medicines, nor I have promoted medicines of any company; because by doing so I will be playing with your health and may harm you. A sane doctor will never do this.
- Mix calendula mother tincture with glycerine and apply it on lesions; this helps in fast healing.
- A well-balanced diet with fruits and vegetables is important.
- Avoid spicy food, caffeinated drinks like coffee & colas.
- Stop alcohol and smoking.
- Do yoga and meditation to reduce mental tension.