In my clinical practice, which I have been doing since 1997, I have seen that it is very important to understand the cause of sciatica. Sciatica is not a disease but a symptom due to irritation or pressure on the sciatic nerve. So, a doctor needs to treat the cause of the sciatica. To kill the pain is not the solution of sciatica.
For example, a patient has intervertebral disc prolapse in the lumbar region which is irritating the sciatic nerve. In this case we will give remedies which will release back stiffness due to disc prolapse and heal the injury thereby helping the prolapsed disc to come back to its normal position. This decreases the pressure from sciatic nerve. The pain, numbness, difficulty in walking become better without side effects of pain killers and complicationsof surgery.
So, homeopathy has no painkillers; we treat the cause of sciatica and this is the permanent solution.
We all know the side effects of pain killers; these are harmful for liver, kidneys, stomach and so on.
Proper homeopathic treatment not only treats sciatica but also strengthens the constitution of the patient which prevents further chances of getting sciatica.
According to me for best results, one should do back strengthening exercises along with homeopathic treatment.
- It has amazing and permanent results in sciatica.
- It should be the first line of treatment as there are specific remedies for sciatica in homeopathy.
- It is safe and simple.
- Totally natural without any side effects.
- No need to take harmful painkillers.
- No need to go for painful physiotherapy.
Number of Medicines
There are around 192 medicines in homeopathy for sciatica which are very effective.
Now which of these medicines are to be given, in how much potency, how many times in a day – this is a complicated process which only a highly qualified and experienced doctor can do.
A sensible doctor never prescribes on the name of the disease sciatica. He takes complete history of the patient, then studies his symptoms properly.
After that he selects the medicines keeping in mind the susceptibility of the patient and decides upon the potency and repetition of medicines.
My Approach to Treatment
In sciatica I prescribe for one month and then I review the patient after that. Every month the case is studied again thereby fine tuning the medicines and their potencies.
Nothing is fixed in homeopathic treatment and remedies change according to the condition of the patient. As I always say, “homeopathy is not readymade, it is tailormade” and the treatment constantly changes according to the situation of the patient.
How much improvement you get in sciatica depends upon your choice of doctor. These days KYC is done in banks and mutual funds; I think patients should also do KYD – Know your doctor.
Tips to Reduce Pain
- Alternate hot and cold fomentation for 20 minutes twice a day.
- Always push and do not pull heavy things.
- Do not carry things more than 3 kgs of weight.
- Always bend knees and elbows before picking up heavy weight from floor to avoid stress on the back.
- When pain is severe put pillow below knees while sleeping at night.
- You may mix and apply Rhus Toxicodendron and Ruta ointmentswhich are natural and will reduce the pain.