What is Acne?
Acne is a very common skin condition that occurs generally among teenagers though it affects people of all ages.
In this basically hair follicles become plugged with excess oil and dead skin cells which leads to growth of bacteria and inflammation.
Acne appears on the face, chest, shoulders, upper back.
When acne heals, they leave scars on skin.
Many times, skin becomes dark or light after acne clears away.
Severe acne can disturb you emotionally.
Types of Acne
Now let us know about types of acne.
- Papules: These are like small, red, tender bumps.
- Pimples: These are like papules, but their tip is filled with pus.
- Nodules: These are large, solid, painful lumps under the skin.
- Cystic lesions: These are painful, pus-filled lumps under the skin.
- Whiteheads: These are closed plugged pores.
- Blackheads: These are open plugged pores.
Triggers of Acne
- Hormonal changes: There is increase in androgens during teenage. Too much androgen causes enlargement of sebaceous glands and excessive secretion of sebum or oil which leads to acne formation. Hormonal changes during midlife and pregnancy also causes acne.
- Certain medicines: Medicines containing steroids or hormones can cause acne.
- Family history: If both parents had acne, you are likely to develop it too.
By now you must have understood that acne is developing on the skin, but the problem is deep inside your body. To treat acne a holistic approach is needed and that is what we follow.
When an acne patient consults a skin specialist, he prescribes antibiotics, isotretinoin, oral contraceptives, and anti androgen drugs.
With this treatment, the symptoms of the patient get better. But as soon as the treatment is stopped, all the symptoms reappear and usually become worse than before.
Patients cannot take these medicines for long as these medicines can cause serious side effects.
When the patient does not respond to medicinal treatment, cosmetic surgery, phototherapy, laser treatment is advised by the skin specialist.
Homeopathic medicines are natural and without any side effects.
Homeopathy is extremely effective in balancing hormonal system and curing acne permanently from inside.
I have seen in my clinical practice, which I have been doing since 1997, that only classical constitutional homeopathic treatment can treat this problem effectively.
Patients should avoid readymade patent medicines because these do not work and make the problem worse.
According to my experience acne start getting better within 2 to 3 months of treatment and it takes about 8 to 10 months for a complete recovery.
Number of Medicines
There are around 152 medicines in homeopathy for acne.
Now which of these medicines are to be given, in how much potency, how many times in a day – this is a complicated process which only a highly qualified and experienced doctor can do.
A sensible doctor never prescribes upon the name of the disease acne. He takes the complete history of the patient; then studies his symptoms properly.
After this, he selects the medicines keeping in mind the susceptibility of the patient and decides upon the potency and repetition of medicines.
“Homeopathy is not readymade, it is tailormade.”
While treating acne I prescribe for one month and then review the patient.
Every month the case is studied again, thereby finetuning the medicines and their potencies.
How much improvement you get in acne depends upon your choice of doctor. These days KYC is done in banks; I think patients should also do KYD – Know Your Doctor.
Name of Medicines?
Friends, in this blog I have not named any medicines, nor I have promoted medicines of any company; because by doing so I will be playing with your health and may harm you. A sane doctor will never do this.