What is PCOS or PCOD?
PCOS is also known as PCOD.
PCOS is Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome.
This is a hormonal problem which is very common among females these days.
In PCOS the male hormones also known as androgens increase, due to which multiple cysts form in the ovary. The cyst formation causes difficulty in releasing of eggs.
Before we discuss about homeopathic treatment, let us first talk about conventional treatment of PCOS.
- OCPs or Birth Control Pills: By taking these pills menses become regular; but these menses are not natural but withdrawal bleeding. According to my clinical practice, which I am doing since 1997, in maximum cases once you are off the OCPs all your problems resurface. There are lot of side effects of OCPs like headache & migraine, mood changes, nausea, weight gain, breast tenderness, spotting between menses, vaginal discharge, decreased libido or sex drive and so on.
- Fertility Drugs: These medicines induce ovulation so that one can conceive. The side effects of these medicines are exactly like side effects of OCPs.
- Metformin: This medicine reduces insulin levels in the blood. There are lot of side effects of metformin like weakness, body pains, low blood sugar level, cold & cough, diarrhea, gas and so on.
- Spironolactone: This is prescribed for unwanted hair growth. There are lot of side effects like headache, dizziness, dryness of mouth, stomach pain, cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, irregular menses and so on.
- Laser Therapy: To remove unwanted hairs. There are lot of complications of laser therapy like skin infection, skin rashes & irritation, burns & blisters, scarring, cancer and so on.
- Ovarian Drilling: Ovarian drilling has also many risks like pelvic adhesions, bleeding, ovarian failure, infertility, gas embolism, pneumothorax and so on.
Generally, patients who consult me are chronic patients of PCOS who have already undergone allopathic treatment.
Our homeopathic remedies balance the hormonal system which gradually reduces the size of the cysts; and ovaries start becoming normal in size. This leads to start of normal ovulation and menses become regular.
This is a long and slow process which takes time. How much time it takes varies from patient to patient. According to my experience, symptomatic improvement starts in 2 to 3 months. To cure PCOS completely it takes around 1 to 2 years.
What to Expect with Homeopathy?
- Gradually menses become regular.
- Growth of unwanted hairs slows down and they become soft.
- Marked reduction in acne and pimples.
- Fertility increases.
- Reduction in weight gain.
- Insulin resistance becomes better.
- Acanthosis nigricans in which back of neck becomes leather like & black resolves.
- Homeopathic treatment prevents you from complications like diabetes, cancer, abnormal uterine bleeding, miscarriages and so on.
Number of Medicines
There are around 78 medicines in homeopathy for PCOS which are very effective.
Now which of these medicines are to be given, in how much potency, how many times in a day – this is a complicated process which only a highly qualified and experienced doctor can do.
A sensible doctor never prescribes on the name of the disease ‘PCOS’. He takes complete history of the patient, then studies his symptoms properly.
After that he selects the medicines keeping in mind the susceptibility of the patient and decides upon the potency and repetition of medicines.
In PCOS I prescribe for one month and then review the patient after that. Every month the case is studied again thereby finetuning the medicines and their potencies.
Name of Medicines?
Friends in this blog I have not named any medicines, nor I have promoted medicines of any company; because by doing so I will be playing with your health and may harm you. A sane doctor will never do this!