The full form of UTI is Urinary Tract Infection.
What is Chronic Recurrent UTI
Chronic recurrent UTIs are those infections of urinary tract which do not respond to antibiotics and trouble the patients by recurring.
When these infections affect the kidneys, it is called nephritis / pyelonephritis.
When they affect the bladder, it is called cystitis.
And when they affect urethra, it is called urethritis.
There are many causes behind chronic recurrent UTI:
- Frequent hospitalizations. Hospitals are full of resistant bacteriae.
- STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) like herpes, gonorrhea.
- Urinary catheterization during a surgery.
- Weak immune system as in diabetes.
- Blockage in urinary tract due to kidney stone or enlarged prostate.
- Stricture urethra.
- Menopause; due to hormonal imbalance.
- Neurogenic bladder; due to retention of urine.
When a chronic recurrent UTI patient consults an allopathic doctor, he prescribes oral antibiotics, IV antibiotics, pain killers, antipyretics, and anti-inflammatory medicines for months. These medicines have serious side effects like:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Damage to liver & kidneys
- Vaginal candida yeast infection in females
- Allergic skin rash
- Destruction of friendly bacteria leading to other infections
But the frustrating thing is that after discontinuing these medicines all the problems come back.
The reasons for recurrence are:
- Bacteria causing UTI like E. coli, Klebsiella, Proteus, Pseudomonas are antibiotic resistant.
- Patient’s immune system is very weak against these bacteria.
Antibiotics cannot address these 2 concerns and the patient continues to suffer.
I have seen in my clinical practice, which I am doing since 1997, that chronic recurrent UTI patients who consult us have had allopathic treatment for a very long period, but UTI continues to recur.
Patients who suffer are mostly females and elderly people or people who are suffering from other chronic problems and are doing frequent hospital visits.
Homeopathy does not have antibiotics. Our medicines work on the immune system thereby creating an environment in the body which is not conducive for the existence of resistant bacteria. This cures the recurrent UTI.
Apart from this, homeopathy greatly improves the overall health of the patient which stops the relapses of UTI with no further requirement of antibiotics.
According to my experience, it takes about 3 to 6 months treatment to eradicate chronic recurrent UTI. Patients should have forbearance and they should cooperate with the doctor.
What to Expect with Homeopathy?
- Normal urine report: Pus cells, RBCs, leukocyte esterase, albumin come within normal range.
- Burning during urination gets resolved.
- No frequent urination.
- No fever.
- No bladder pain.
- Nausea, vomiting, fatigue becomes okay.
Number of Medicines
There are around 156 medicines in homeopathy for chronic recurrent UTI which are very effective.
Now which of these medicines are to be given, in how much potency, how many times in a day – this is a complicated process which only a highly qualified and experienced doctor can do.
A sensible doctor never prescribes on the name of the disease “Chronic Recurrent UTI”. He takes complete history of the patient, then studies his symptoms properly.
After that he selects the medicines keeping in mind the susceptibility of the patient and decides upon the potency and repetition of medicines.
In chronic recurrent UTI I prescribe for one month and then review the patient after that. Every month the case is studied again thereby finetuning the medicines and their potencies.
Nothing is fixed in homeopathic treatment and remedies change according to the condition of the patient. As I always say, “homeopathy is not readymade, it is tailormade” and the treatment constantly changes according to the situation of the patient.
Name of Medicines?
Friends in this blog I have not named any medicines, nor I have promoted medicines of any company; because by doing so I will be playing with your health and may harm you. A sane doctor will never do this.
Complications of UTI
It is very important to properly treat UTI because it can cause serious complications like:
- Permanent kidney damage.
- Urethral stricture which is narrowing of urethra.
- Sepsis, which is life threatening.
- Pregnant women delivering low birth weight or premature babies.
TOP 12 Natural Home Remedies & Prevention Tips
- Drink plenty of water. If your urine is yellow in color, it means you are drinking less water and if urine color is transparent then it means you are drinking enough water.
- Maintain good hygiene – Keep the genital and anal area clean.
- Wear comfortable underwear and change it every day.
- Avoid tight clothing.
- Urinate after sex and clean the genital area with water.
- Do not hold urine when there is an urge to urinate.
- Keep genital area dry.
- Do not use perfume, deodorant on genital area.
- Drink 100 ml unsweetened cranberry juice every morning.
- Increase the intake of vitamin c in the form of oranges, Indian gooseberry, kiwi.
- Eat probiotic curd or yogurt daily.
- Use garlic in the preparation of food.